"God is Love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." - 1 Jn 4:16



Thursday, April 14

Lemme Tell Ya' about Our Day

We experienced many firsts today.  First sidewalk chalk, first point-to-something-and-Mama-carries-you-there excursion, first tornado sirens of our trip.  Oh wait, back up, forgot the exciting part.  Yes, first I-can-open-my-diaper-and-poop-in-the-crib adventure too.

It's been a gorgeous day all day today, a bit windy but a great day for outdoor play.  So play we did.  We explored so many nooks and crannies in the yard that it required a bath before afternoon nap.  Well, it's been so comfortably warm in the house and baby Bird's napped in just a diaper before, so I opted to give her little body some air time while she slept.  She snuggled down into her crib; I tucked her all 'round with her blanket and softly closed the door, blowing a kiss on the way out.

I didn't hear a peep for probably an hour and a half.  Now baby Bird typically naps about 2 hours in the afternoon, so the early wake-up should have been a clue.  She wasn't fussing though, just talking, so I gave her about another 30 minutes while I finished up some work on the computer.  Hmm.  How much you wanna' bet I should have gone in right when I heard those first little peeps?

Baby Bird did start fussing a little so I went in to rescue her from her nap.  I cracked the door open just a hair so we could play peek-a-boo on my way in.  It took a minute to click that something didn't look right.  Baby Bird was sitting a bit lower in the crib than normal (actually a mesh-sided pack-n-play) and the colors were off.  Even if I can't see her clearly through the mesh, I can usually see the bold swatch of color that's her cloth diaper.  Huh.  No swatch of color.  That's odd.

I peeked over the side and that's when it dawned on me, "You look like you're missing something!"

She peered up at me with her still-sleepy eyes, looking a bit confused.  It took me another few seconds to realize that she wasn't alone in her crib.  Flashbacks to friends' posts about their kids' diaperless naps blazed before my eyes.  How bad was this going to be?!

Well, thank God for solid foods.  It wasn't that bad.  Not that I'd care for a repeat.  Or to try that while pregnant.  Or in a hurry.  Or like ever again.  But ya' know, all things considered, it wasn't that bad.  The poop stayed on the blanket, the diaper was bone dry (phew, because she'd launched it out of the crib!), and since she was already stark naked she just went straight to bath #2 for the day.

Did I mention this was going on at the exact same time we had storms rolling in and the dog was begging to eat and dinner was supposed to be getting worked on?

No sooner did I get baby Bird hosed off and back into a diaper (with clothes over it this time), I heard the tornado sirens going off.  Back into the bathroom we go!

Hmm.  Never a dull moment.

2 comments:

Megilon said...

It sounds like you were lucky with the diaper incident. That is crazy about the tornado sirens.

Athena said...

My now 15yo used to take her diapers off during nap time. So not fun... Good luck :)

Have a great weekend!