"God is Love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." - 1 Jn 4:16



Tuesday, June 22

Nerves of Steel or a Wet Noodle?

I was 15 when I watched as my mom was wheeled off the ice rink on a stretcher.  I was 14 when my brother head-butted our dog and ended up with 47 stitches and skin grafting.  I was 10 when my baby brother busted his chin open and was the first of us to need stitches.  I've had surgery, I've given birth, I watch CSI.  None of these things bother me - buck up and deal.  I accidentally pinched my husband one day and nearly threw up.  The fact that I had caused him pain, that he was even IN pain or hurt in any way literally made me nauseas.  I've watched kids take tumbles and not batted an eye but I couldn't hold my own child down as she got her first round of shots.  As she grows and takes her own tumbles, needs stitches, or (heaven forbid) gets wheeled anywhere on a stretcher, will I have nerves of steel or will I be a wet noodle, a blubbering incoherent mess?  Lord help me, I have no idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know? The wonderful thing about a marriage is that our spouses have a knack for making up for our lack. SO, if you're a wet noodle, chances are decent dh will have the nerves of steel. I think dh and I are a combo of the two depending on the situation and what is required of us. If he's there, I do NOT deal with the blood etc. But, if he's not I step up. You do what you have to do.

Milwife Mama of One said...

I love being married :). God certainly knew what He was doing when He made us to work and live in two's!