"God is Love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." - 1 Jn 4:16



Tuesday, January 4

Jumpin' on the "Green" Wagon

New mission: a paperless kitchen :D.

Things we already do:
  • Use cloth napkins till we run out (we have 10, and I only wash towels once a week so this stash lasts a few days or so)
  • Dry our hands and dishes on dish towels
  • Wipe the CLEAN counters dry with dish towels
  • Have a handy place for dirty kitchen cloth

Things that need to happen to go paperless:
  • Up our stash of cloth napkins (I'm thinking maybe 30 total? that'll cover guests, too)
  • Take the paper towels out of the kitchen (we'll keep a small stash on hand for bacon grease and toilet scrubbing - for now anyway)
  • Establish a stash of paper towel replacements (everyday kitchen rags - I think we're going to want a BUNCH of these)
  • I think we're fine on the kitchen towel front (we have about 10 or 15, and typically only use one a day)
  • Put a small shelf or drawer under the kitchen sink for cloth storage
  • Possibly come up with a suitable drying place for kitchen cloth before it gets tossed in the laundry bin (to prevent mold growth.  eew.)

I've talked it over with my husband and he's given the go-ahead (I love my husband!).  His only request is lessons when he gets home :).  It'll take a little while to build up the stash so we'll continue to use paper towels for a little bit longer.  I'm also going to try and limit the amount of money we invest in this, so will be looking at repurposing old sheets or scoping out the Airman's Attic (like a thrift store, but everything is free!) for items than can be turned into kitchen cloth.

Have you made any "green" goals recently? Any tips on the whole "going paperless" process would be great!

No comments: