"God is Love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." - 1 Jn 4:16



Wednesday, March 30

It's About Time

So I haven't really been updating very well on blogger, but what else is new?  Since it's 2:45 am and baby Bird is fighting sleep tooth and nail, rather loudly at that, I'd just as soon not be in the same room.  Hence the sudden catch-up blog posts.

I'll try and do a series of posts so I can get all caught up.

Here they are:
Topic #1:  Return from Deployment
Topic #2:  Our Decision


Topic #1:  Return from Deployment

I should have done this post when this was all fresh in my mind, and I wrote several posts in my head that sounded just lovely.  Time's past and the raw emotions and quirks of my husband's homecoming have faded but I will try and include at least the highlights.


  • My husband came home from his 4-month deployment about 2 months ago.
  • With him came all the joys and adjustments of having Daddy and husband home again.
  • Joys were:
    • Sharing the bed again! (umm, duh)
    • No more worrying about his safety, even if there isn't much to worry about I always do
    • Seeing baby Bird light up and giggle the whole way home once she could actually see who it was (it was dark when we picked him up)
    • Spending some much-needed family time together (LOVE those 10 days of post-deployment leave!)
    • Mini-vacation to Tokyo and skiing
    • Not having to be the only one responsible for walking the dog, doing the shopping, and keeping the house running.  Especially the dog part.  I like sleeping in the mornings, not getting fully dressed just so I can walk the dog down the stairs to pee.
  • Adjustments were:
    • Sharing the pillows again.  I'd become quite the pillow hog in 4 months...
    • Learning how to connect in person with baby Bird since she'd grown quite a bit while Daddy was gone.
    • Reworking how we parent as a team - no glitches really, just learning the daily rhythm and flow as well as sharing what boundaries had been set, etc.  We did pretty well on communicating this stuff while Daddy was deployed so it was a pretty smooth transition I think.  It might have been different if baby Bird was older.
    • Sleeping.  I had terrible sleep patterns during the deployment.  Unfortunately it took several weeks after my husband got home before I was kindof into a decent routine.  That part sucked.
I know there were tons of other things I wanted to include in the homecoming posts, but between the passage of time and the wee-hour morning this is about all I've got.  Sorry :-/.  I'm sure my memory will be jogged on some things in the next few weeks given our current situation, which I will share in my next post.  Peace! :)

No comments: